Substance Abuse Treatment Programs
Whether someone is struggling with drug addiction, alcohol addiction or both, there are options available to them. There are inpatient rehab programs, but also outpatient substance abuse treatment programs. An outpatient program is in a flexible setting that can often be based around the daily schedule of the person participating in treatment.
Treatment can vary in its intensity and approach, but there is a similarity with all these programs—participants don’t stay overnight in the treatment center.
Most outpatient treatment programs require participation a few hours a week. Outpatient treatment can lead to positive long-term outcomes, particularly when a participant has a supportive home environment.
Directions from Laurel to Our Treatment Center
The Freedom Center is a specialized outpatient rehab facility located in Gaithersburg, MD. It’s convenient to many cities and towns throughout Maryland, D.C., and the local area.
- From Westminster to the Freedom Center is around 40 miles
- The drive from Westminster, MD to our center is around 50 minutes
The Freedom Center can be reached by 1-270 S or MD-27 S.
Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOP)
One type of outpatient program we offer clients is called an intensive outpatient program or an IOP. An IOP is used for the treatment of both drug and alcohol addiction. When someone is participating in an IOP, they can continue living at home and meeting their daily responsibilities. Some people enrolled in an IOP may instead return to sober housing each day.
The following are some features of an intensive outpatient program for drug or alcohol addiction:
- An IOP usually requires a commitment of several hours a week, depending on an individual’s treatment plan
- As a participant meets certain recovery milestones outlined in their treatment plan, the intensity level of an IOP may decrease
- An IOP can provide not only addiction treatment but also a treatment for other mental health concerns
- At The Freedom Center IOPs are holistic in approach, meaning they address all aspects of a person’s needs, and not just their use of drugs or alcohol
What Should You Expect During Recovery?
Some people are apprehensive about seeking addiction treatment because they are unsure of what to expect. An IOP usually includes the following:
- A rehab program will typically begin with a complete assessment so the staff can learn more about the clients’ needs and create a thorough treatment plan
- Both individual and group therapy are an important part of any addiction treatment program. The specific approach used is often Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
- When necessary, psychiatric and medical support can be provided.
- A benefit of outpatient rehab is that it can make it easier for a family to be involved, and IOPs often integrate family therapy and family support.
- Our IOPs at the Freedom Center can also include exercise and nutrition support, vocational and life skills, case management and peer support.
Other Types of Rehab
Along with intensive outpatient programs, there are other types of outpatient treatment as well.
One example is day treatment. Day treatment tends to be very intensive and strictly scheduled. There’s not the flexibility of an IOP. Most of the time when someone participates in day treatment, they are expected to be at the treatment facility all day, most days of the week.
Continuing care is also a form of outpatient rehab, although it can occur in many different settings. Participation in recovery and support groups like AA and NA is one type of continuing care, as an example.
The Benefits of Substance Abuse Treatment
There are certain advantages to an outpatient Maryland rehab. These can include:
- The level of flexibility means participants in outpatient rehab don’t have to leave their family, school or work
- Outpatient rehab is less expensive than inpatient treatment
- There isn’t the need to travel far from home for treatment
- You can ultimately develop a support system locally, with the people you meet during rehab
Contact The Freedom Center for More Information
At the Freedom Center, we accept most types of insurance, and we’re happy to talk with you about the costs of outpatient rehab, what program options are available and how you can receive treatment at our center. Reach out today.